August 16th, 2022
You own/manage a fitness business and in order to continue to thrive, your bottom line needs to stay out of the red and we are here to help you find ways to create more cushion to that bottom line. We have heard our members talking about how they need to increase membership sales to keep up with expenses. NIHCA believes that increasing membership sales should always be at the top of your priority list. As a National Independent Health Club Association, we also believe it is important to find alternative ways for you to increase your revenue. We asked the NIHCA Networking Group how they increase their revenue outside of membership sales.
- Rentals are by far the number one response we received on how to increase revenue.
- Building Rental
- Space Rental for parties or gatherings
- Locker Rental
- Offering additional classes can be a great way to bring in fresh ideas, new memberships, and increase your revenue. You can contract with instructors and personal trainers rather than hire staff. Offer class rates where your members pay an additional fee to attend classes. If you need ideas, reach out to NIHCA for a copy of our Unique Programming Ideas list.
- This can include Swim Lessons, Personal Training, Weight Training, CPR Classes, etc.
- Special Events. Host a 5k for a small entry fee. Host a challenge with a group entry fee.
- You can sell marketing items such as sweatshirts, t-shirts, or towels. Offer small toiletries for sale.
- Testing Services or Measurement Services. Charge a fee for a body composition scan or to record accurate measurements for your members.
We hope that these suggestions will help you think outside of the box on ways to increase revenue at your fitness center. Do you have additional revenue avenues; email them to us at rewards@NIHCA.org.
~”It’s not the strongest species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.” – Charles Darwin
REV ’em Up:
Attract and Keep Awesome Employees
Presented by: Kristen Brown
Thursday, August 25th, 2022
10:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Central Time)
Unlock your club’s greatness with the REV approach. You will learn how Rewards, Energy, and Vision help attract employees and keep the ones you have feeling happier and more fulfilled. This insight will help you hire and lead more effectively, motivate your team to interact more positively with each other, and help everyone deliver their best to clients too. Let’s REV ‘em up!
- Understand how Rewards are the key driver of employee attraction and retention.
- Identify how the elements of you and your organization’s Energy most impact your employees and how to help them feel their energetic flow too.
- Discuss how to align your Vision with your team’s so everyone is working toward the same goals and engaged enthusiastically with their work.
/// Register Today Click HERE ///
July 26, 2022
We try to come up with cool themes for our Spotlight Contests. So we cranked up the heat for our July Spotlight. We asked you to show us how you beat the heat and keep your members cool through the hot summer months. We really did get some cool entries this month. We received entries with everything from Drumsticks to Water Days for your members. Ultimately, the Rubber Ducks won.
Congratulations to M-Power Wellness in Chisago City, MN
“Here at M-Power Wellness Center in Chisago City, MN we beat the heat by putting on our floaties, putting ice packs in our pool, and cooling down with a nice ice cold drink!”
M-Power Wellness, “Dear weather, stop showing off… We know you’re HOT!!! “The heat index is somewhere between icy at M-power and happiness.” “
What would you do with a $100 check from NIHCA? Get your entries in now for our September 2022 Spotlight Contest!
July 21, 2022
There is something to be said about good behavior, but bad behavior is talked about more often. Being a new manager or director comes with the responsibility of discipline. As a manager, do you feel like a High School Principal at times? It isn’t just young adults or older kids; how is it adults can behave so immaturely? If you need a chuckle, keep your eyes out for “You Can’t Make This Up” tidbits in our newsletters.
We have asked our members how they handle conduct issues. Here is a list that you may find inspiration from when you need to try a new tactic:
- Fines! Start fining your members for their misbehaviors
- Give the member on option of paying the fine you assigned to them or involving the local police
- Signed Code of Conduct by every facility attendee (each family member on the membership and every guest who uses the facility)
- Clear guidelines need to be available to new members, throughout the facility, and in your policies and procedures
- Include data of incidents right on the membership profile within your software
- Conduct an in-person meeting for any and all incidents!
- Have the member who sponsored/referred the member/violator reach out to the violator on the first incident if it occurs within the first 4 weeks of membership
- Termination of membership with violation of rules
We would always hope that we live in a society where we do not have to deal with handling of misconduct. However, we know these tips will help you be strong in the circumstances to keep your facility and members safe.
~”We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weights ounces while regret weighs tons.” – Jim Rohn
$100 September Spotlight Contest:
The NIHCA Spotlight offers a chance to win $100 for your club and an opportunity to cast some “Spotlight” on your amazing facility, your awesome staff and your dedicated members!
Have you seen our Newsletter section, “Can’t Make This Up”? Every now and again we hear a great story from one of our NIHCA Clubs about the antics happening with their members. We have heard about a member deciding to help his club by attaching a dish rack to the elliptical machine so he had a place to put his items. We don’t want to give away all the good ones.
Share with us your greatest (keep it PG!) Can’t Make This Up story for a chance to win a $100 check from NIHCA.
$100 will be awarded to the NIHCA club with the best response. Send in your video and/or pictures along with your story to: email@example.com
We will announce the winner in the upcoming newsletter, blog, Facebook and Instagram, while promoting your amazing facility! All entries must be received by September 15th to be considered!
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call NIHCA at 320.722.0084 and ask for Erica.
Please note that all pictures, videos, and promotional material may be used on our website, blog, and in our newsletters as it pertains to the Spotlight Challenge.