Connecting with Staff
We are often great at connecting with our staff over the holidays, when they first join us or if there is trouble in the air. What are you doing to stay connected with your staff and to keep them connected with each other? As Marcus Buckingam said, “People leave managers, not companies.” A strong club culture, detailed training and good moral can go a long way in your club. We have some suggestions and ideas on how to stay connected.
- Ask each staff, “What are the top 3 things the Director could work on at the club?”
- Compliment Cards, let members write a note about a good experience or interaction with a staff member.
- Thankful Cards, like the compliment cards, let member write a note about what or who they are thankful for at the club.
- Tell Me Something Good: Ask your staff to share something positive.
- Regular staff meetings. Staff meeting are important for sharing information and keeping connected. Meetings can be short 15 minutes each week or informative 60 minutes once a month. Use the time to update everyone on new equipment, upcoming schedules, seasonal to-do lists, specials for the month, or celebrate birthdays that month.
- Celebrate the little things. Celebrate birthdays, work anniversaries and accomplishments. A simple card can go a long ways to show your appreciation for someone.
- Use the Attitude/Aptitude Tool. Read the article HERE by Bob Wolf.
This is a great time of year to connect with staff and to keep it going in the New Year. Let us know how you connect with your staff or if you have requests for a NIHCA Knows topic.
“When people are financially invested, they want a return. When people are emotionally invested, they want to contribute.” ~Simon Sinek