Generating Revenue Above Membership Dollars
August 16th, 2022
You own/manage a fitness business and in order to continue to thrive, your bottom line needs to stay out of the red and we are here to help you find ways to create more cushion to that bottom line. We have heard our members talking about how they need to increase membership sales to keep up with expenses. NIHCA believes that increasing membership sales should always be at the top of your priority list. As a National Independent Health Club Association, we also believe it is important to find alternative ways for you to increase your revenue. We asked the NIHCA Networking Group how they increase their revenue outside of membership sales.
- Rentals are by far the number one response we received on how to increase revenue.
- Building Rental
- Space Rental for parties or gatherings
- Locker Rental
- Offering additional classes can be a great way to bring in fresh ideas, new memberships, and increase your revenue. You can contract with instructors and personal trainers rather than hire staff. Offer class rates where your members pay an additional fee to attend classes. If you need ideas, reach out to NIHCA for a copy of our Unique Programming Ideas list.
- This can include Swim Lessons, Personal Training, Weight Training, CPR Classes, etc.
- Special Events. Host a 5k for a small entry fee. Host a challenge with a group entry fee.
- You can sell marketing items such as sweatshirts, t-shirts, or towels. Offer small toiletries for sale.
- Testing Services or Measurement Services. Charge a fee for a body composition scan or to record accurate measurements for your members.
We hope that these suggestions will help you think outside of the box on ways to increase revenue at your fitness center. Do you have additional revenue avenues; email them to us at rewards@NIHCA.org.
~”It’s not the strongest species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.” – Charles Darwin