July 21, 2022
There is something to be said about good behavior, but bad behavior is talked about more often. Being a new manager or director comes with the responsibility of discipline. As a manager, do you feel like a High School Principal at times? It isn’t just young adults or older kids; how is it adults can behave so immaturely? If you need a chuckle, keep your eyes out for “You Can’t Make This Up” tidbits in our newsletters.
We have asked our members how they handle conduct issues. Here is a list that you may find inspiration from when you need to try a new tactic:
- Fines! Start fining your members for their misbehaviors
- Give the member on option of paying the fine you assigned to them or involving the local police
- Signed Code of Conduct by every facility attendee (each family member on the membership and every guest who uses the facility)
- Clear guidelines need to be available to new members, throughout the facility, and in your policies and procedures
- Include data of incidents right on the membership profile within your software
- Conduct an in-person meeting for any and all incidents!
- Have the member who sponsored/referred the member/violator reach out to the violator on the first incident if it occurs within the first 4 weeks of membership
- Termination of membership with violation of rules
We would always hope that we live in a society where we do not have to deal with handling of misconduct. However, we know these tips will help you be strong in the circumstances to keep your facility and members safe.
~”We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weights ounces while regret weighs tons.” – Jim Rohn